An AWESOME Gen Y date and regurgitate blog. Spill your gutts to me, yours truly ITri, and I'll give you advice about your love life. Does this mean I am qualified to give advice....no, but people do love talking to me. I hope you will too! Your secrets are safe with me... and the internet.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Should I Marry the Ugly Guy?

   Dating is a rough sport. Somewhere in between rugby and professional football. Its easy to get bruised and beat up in the game of love. So I ask, is it acceptable to take the easy way out and compromise the long list of qualities you would like to have in husband for the security of a relationship? In short, should I marry the ugly guy?
    Recently, I compromised  my extensive list and went out with a short guy. I know you are probably reading this and thinking that's not a real compromise, but it was for me. In the past, I have been fortunate enough to only date men above six feet. But lately, there has been a slump in my dating life, so I decided to think outside of the box.  We went on our first date and we had a great time. Afterwards, my friends asked me about the date and all could say about him was that he was too short for me.
   The next day, I thought to myself am I that superficial? Why is his stature bothering me so much?  I thought to myself and finally solved the puzzle. It wasn't so much him as it was me. I was always prideful in the fact that I wasn't going to compromise for a mate. I had this ideal guy wrapped in my mind that I just couldn't let go of and he didn't fit the bill.
   I started thinking about all my friends who were all in happy relationships and I realized something that seemed kind of awful to me. They all went the safe route and compromised their "dream guy" for the security of a relationship or marriage, some at a very young age. 
    I am approaching my thirties quicker than I expected. Now I find myself in the shoes of the girls who compromised at a young age, who are now  married and have children. Women who showed off their wedding rings the day after their boyfriends proposed and said: "I know he may not be the best looking guy in the world, but he loves me."
  I asked myself. Am I going to say something similar on one of the happiest day of my life? Am I going to make a conscience compromise about my future mate?  The answer is... I probably will. The guy I marry will not be perfect. He may not be a good dancer or even a fabulous lover. He may be an average guy and not a millionaire. But more important than all that, he will love me for who I am and in return that is the least I can do for him. 
   It's time for me to grow up and stop looking to fairy tales looking for relationship advice. He may not be the handsome prince, but he may be better because he exists.


Please email me your love-full or love-less questions at: askitri@hotmail.com

No comments: